Currently you can take a backup of VS, the backup process is like this:
- Backup starts
- Snapshot of the disk get created
- Disk get mounted on backup server
- Disk conent will be copied to backup server
- Disk get unmounted on backup server
- Snapshot of the disk get deleted
Our clients would like to have for KVM a snapshot feature as it is available for VMWare vSphere, for example:
- Client creates snapshot of a windows VS
- Now all changes are written to the snapshot
- Client installs something on their VS
- VS won't boot up anymore
- VS can simply be restored to the last state when the snapshot got created
This would be very handy because backups take a long time (depending on disk size). A snapshot would only take seconds.
We're looking forward to see that as a feature in upcoming releases. This should not be a big deal to implement as there is already a snapshot function used for backups.
Please sign in to leave a comment.