My cloud was just installed/updated and I would like to test the functions of the cloud. What are some tasks I can run to confirm that it is working?
All versions of OnApp
These are some ideas for testing the cloud functionality:
1. Create a Linux VM, check that it is accessible via ssh and console.
2. Take a backup of the new VM.
3. Restore the backup to the new VM.
4. Change IPs on the VM. Rebuild the network. Check if it is accessible.
5. Add a firewall rule to drop port 22. Check if you can still ssh to the VM (you shouldn't be able to).
6. Change the default firewall rule to 'DROP' - check ping (you shouldn't be able to).
7. Change the firewall rules back to the default ones.
8. Migrate the VM to a different HV (preferably hotmigrate, if available)
9. Destroy the new VM.
Those few tasks would test various systems and functions and should serve as a good smoke-test of the basic functionality, assuming that you don't have any errors with the existing VMs.
If your cloud depends heavily on some tasks, provisioning Windows VMs, using a certain template, loadbalancers, etc., then you can certainly add some test cases for your specific needs as well.