My cloud was just installed/updated and I would like to test the functions of the cloud. What are some tasks I can run to confirm that it is working?
These are some ideas for testing cloud functionality:
1. Create a Linux VM, check that it is accessible via ssh, console
2. Take a backup of the new VM
3. Restore the backup to the new VM.
4. Change IPs on the VM. Rebuild network. Check if accessible.
5. Add a firewall rule to drop port 22. Check if can still ssh to the VM (you shouldn't be able to)
6. Change default firewall rule to 'DROP' - check ping (you shouldn't be able to )
7. Change the firewall rules back to default.
8. Migrate VM to different HV ( preferably hotmigrate if availabe)
9. Destroy the new VM.
Those few tasks would test various systems and functions, and should serve as a good smoke-test of basic functionality, assuming you don't have any errors with existing VMs.
If your cloud depends heavily on some tasks - provisioning WIndows VMs, using a certain template, loadbalancers, etc. then certainly add some test cases for such specific needs.