Question: What is DNS-Debugger?
DNS-Debugger allows you to check which CDN PoP would the visitor request get redirected to. Kindly visit to: https://debug.onappcdn.com and choose "DNS-Debugger". You are required to provide some details:
- Resource ID, or Resource name - mandatory field
- IP - optional field
For Resource ID, you may obtain Resource ID using either of the following way:
- In the CNAME of your CDN resource, Resource ID is the numeric number available at the front part of your CDN resource CNAME. For example: 33445566.r.worldcdn.net, your resource ID is 33445566.
- In CP, Resource ID is the value of "CDN reference" which can be found in "CDN Resource Details" page.
For IP (an optional field) is used to simulate the visitor's request on a CDN resource. If no IP is provided, current connection IP will be automatically chosen. You may also insert a different IP in order to simulate the DNS-Debugger result from different region/country.
The result will shows:
- Where are you (acting as a visitor) coming from, with the information of country, coordinate, and closest airport.
- What are the selected CDN location you get redirected to based on your location in part (a). All possible locations are to be listed, and the chosen location's edge IP(s) are highlighted in green color.
- What is the health status of each Edge location.
OnApp CDN redirection decision is made based on the ping result from the CDN PoPs to the DNS ip of the visitors.
If a server has multiple IPs, the IP shown in the DNS debugger may be different from the server's "main IP" shown in other debugging tools. This is because we distribute customers across a POP's IPs.